Dec 23, 2020
Shannon Mattern almost gave up her entrepreneurial dream because
she was getting burned out from her side hustle clients. She had
set very poor boundaries with her clients and it was impacting her
day job. However, through hiring a business coach, changing her
mindset, and believing in herself, she was about to fully quit her
job three years later. This slow growth might not seem like much,
but Shannon knew it was a blessing in disguise because she was able
to learn so much and take risks without worrying about her
financial future. Find out more about Shannon’s entrepreneurial
journey on this week’s episode!
- Shannon followed a very traditional path but at 34 years old
she found herself incredibly unhappy in an office with no
- When Shannon first started freelancing. She had no boundaries
in place and she was charging way too little for her work.
- Shannon worked at her day job while building her company for
three years before she finally quit.
- Shannon had to change her mindset about her day job. She wished
she did this sooner because her energy was being drained so badly
from the negative energy.
- When Shannon worked with a business coach, she learned how to
be grateful for her day job.
- Why did Shannon get a business coach? And how did she find
- When Shannon finally quit her job, she was so scared about
money that she let her coach go.
- You don’t know what your own blocks are. This is why you need a
- Shannon had no idea she could tell her clients how she wanted
to work. The early days were very stressful. She just said yes to
everything and had the clients define the rules.
- When Shannon shifted her prices from hour to value, it changed
everything for her business.
- The biggest scam in entrepreneurial communities is when they
tell you how much money they’ve made but do not mention how much
money they spent!
- Shannon is tempted to take her foot off the gas, but it’s hard
to stop when you see the results of your labor.
- Shannon is out of the fear phrase, but she completely
understands if someone is getting ready to quit their job, how
scared they must feel.
- Shannon has gone all-in on digital projects and she has stopped
taking on one-on-one clients.
- What’s your actual money target? Do you really need to make six
figures before you quit your job?
- You have to make the time for your side business. It’s not just
going to magically happen.
- Shannon would have made this life happen faster if she just
listened to her coach.
- Who is Shannon’s ideal client? If you need a website, reach out
PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the
Life You Deserve!,
by Chalene Johnson
“I felt very guilty for hating my day job. I should be grateful
for what I have. I make good money, I have benefits. To walk away
from this, would be crazy.”
“Going it alone is so hard, so why not learn from someone who
has already been there and made all the mistakes?”
“I wasn’t growing because I wasn’t willing to invest in
anything. Let me just keep everything that comes in; and then I
realized I needed help.”